G.F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year
The G.F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year award recognizes an outstanding Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) or guardian ad litem (GAL) volunteer who has made significant contributions toward promoting the best interests of abused and neglected children. The Advocate of the Year promotes and supports the CASA/GAL program in the community and serves as an inspiration to others.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Cannot be a paid staff member.
- Must be a current volunteer actively serving on a case.
- Affiliated program must operate in compliance with the Standards for Local CASA/GAL Programs or Standards for State CASA/GAL Organizations.
- Volunteer has made significant contributions toward promoting the best interests of abused and neglected children and providing quality advocacy for children.
- The Advocate of the Year promotes and supports the CASA/GAL program in the community.
Awards and Recognition
The G. F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year will be recognized at the Awards Luncheon held at the 2015 National CASA Conference. The award recipient will receive the following in honor of their service and dedication:
- A $1,500 award presented to the affiliated CASA or GAL program in honor of the recipient's service.
- One round trip, coach airfare to the National CASA Conference.
- Lodging for up to three nights at the conference host hotel.
- One complimentary registration for the honoree to the National CASA Conference.
- An engraved award presented at the Awards Luncheon.
Complete a two-part application to nominate an advocate. All questions must be answered using our online form below. Letters of support may be emailed or mailed to National CASA.
All materials must be received by National CASA by Friday, January 16, 2015.
Part 1: Nomination Form: Submit the vital information about your nominee—name, address, program affiliation, length of service, etc.—and respond to the following questions about why your nominee should be selected. Each response should be 300 words or less.
- Why do you think this volunteer should be named the G.F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year?
- Discuss the volunteer’s strengths and skills that contribute to his/her effectiveness as a child advocate. Provide specific examples of how the volunteer demonstrates diligence, thoroughness and persistence in conducting research, ensuring the system responds to the needs of the child and representing the child’s best interests to the court.
- Describe how the volunteer exemplifies a high level of ethics and respect in the role of CASA/GAL volunteer.
- Give a case example of how the volunteer has significantly impacted the life of a child.
- In addition to the individual case advocacy described in response to the questions above, has the nominee taken other steps to advance the best interests of abused and neglected children?
Part 2: Letters of Support: Please provide two additional brief letters of support, including one from the state or local CASA or GAL program director (if not the nominator). Letters of support may be submitted via email or mail and must be received by Friday, January 16, 2015.
- Submit via email using the award category and last name, first initial as the subject line (example: Advocate Nomination - Jones, J.)
- Submit via mail to:
National CASA Association
Attn: Awards of Excellence Selection Committee
100 West Harrison
North Tower, Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98119
Any individual affiliated with a member program may nominate a child advocate. However, the nominator cannot be a current voting member of his or her local CASA/GAL board of directors or the National CASA Association Board of Trustees. Each program may nominate only one advocate.
All nomination forms must be submitted electronically. Emailed, faxed or mailed submissions will not be accepted, unless specified above.
Child Advocate of the Year Nomination Form
Thank you for your interest in the Awards of Excellence. Part 1 of the nomination process includes the following 3-page nomination form.
Please be aware that this nomination form must be completed in its entirety in order to be submitted properly. The absolute word limit for the questions on page 3 is 300 words, however brevity is appreciated. You may draft your responses using Word and cut and paste your responses into the online form. You must complete the following application in one sitting - you will NOT be able to save and come back to finish your work. After you click the submit button on page three, your application is complete and cannot be modified.
Please remember to submit any letters of recommendation as required by Part 2 of the nomination process. All nomination information must be received by National CASA by January 16, 2015.
Please contact conference staff or call (800) 628-3233