G.F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year
The G.F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year award recognizes an outstanding Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) or guardian ad litem (GAL) volunteer who has made significant contributions toward promoting the best interests of abused and neglected children. The National CASA Association Advocate of the Year promotes and supports the CASA/GAL program in the community and serves as an inspiration to others.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Must be a current volunteer actively serving on a case.
- Cannot be a paid staff member.
- Affiliated program must operate in compliance with the Standards for Local CASA/GAL Programs or Standards for State CASA/GAL Organizations.
- Volunteer has made significant contributions toward promoting the best interests of abused and neglected children and providing quality advocacy for children.
- The Advocate of the Year promotes and supports the CASA/GAL program in the community.
Awards and Recognition
The G. F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year will be recognized at the 2017 National CASA/GAL Conference Awards Luncheon. The award recipient will receive the following in honor of their service and dedication:
- A $1,500 award presented to the affiliated CASA/GAL program in honor of the recipient's service.
- One round trip, coach airfare to the National CASA/GAL Conference.
- Lodging for up to three nights at the conference host hotel.
- One complimentary registration for the honoree to the National CASA/GAL Conference.
- An engraved award presented at the awards luncheon.
Complete the official nomination form to nominate an advocate. Three letters of support addressing the questions below must be emailed to National CASA Association.
All materials must be received by National CASA Association by Friday, December 2, 2016.
Part 1: Nomination Form: Submit the vital information about your nominee—name, address, program affiliation, length of service, and other required information.
Part 2: Letters of Support: Please provide three letters of support from individuals, one of which may be from the nominator and one of which must be from the CASA/GAL director where the advocate serves. Letters of support must be submitted via email and must be received by Friday, December 2, 2016. In each letter of support, respond from the author’s perspective to the questions below. Letters of support may not exceed 1500 words.
- Why do you think this volunteer should be named the G.F. Bettineski Child Advocate of the Year?
- Discuss the volunteer’s strengths and skills that contribute to his/her effectiveness as a child advocate. Provide specific examples of how the volunteer demonstrates diligence, thoroughness, and persistence in conducting research, ensuring the system responds to the needs of the child, and representing the child’s best interests to the court.
- Describe how the volunteer exemplifies a high level of ethics and respect in the role of CASA/GAL volunteer.
- Give a case example of how the volunteer has significantly impacted the life of a child.
- In addition to the individual case advocacy described in response to the questions above, has the nominee taken other steps to advance the best interests of abused and neglected children? If so, please describe them.
- Any additional information important for us to consider
Submit via email using the award category and last name, first initial as the subject line (example: Advocate Nomination - Jones, J.). Please save the letter of support with the same naming convention.
- Any individual affiliated with a member program may nominate a child advocate. However, the nominator cannot be a current member of the National CASA Association Board of Trustees. Each program may nominate only one advocate.
- All nomination forms must be submitted using the online form. Faxed or mailed nomination forms will not be accepted.
- All letters of support must be emailed using the directions above.
Child Advocate of the Year Nomination Form
Thank you for your interest in the Awards of Excellence. Part 1 of the nomination process includes completion of the official nomination form.
Please be aware that this nomination form must be completed in its entirety in order to be submitted properly.
Please remember to submit letters of recommendation as required by Part 2 of the nomination process. All nomination information must be received by National CASA Association by Friday, December 2, 2016.
Please contact conference staff or call 800.628.3233